For folks that have never visited Cairns and Tropical North Queensland, it can take a lot of research to find out what are the best things to do and best things to see in the huge amount of day trips and excursionsto choose from that would suit their particular travel party requirements. Below are The Tour Specialists pick of the most iconic attractions and most popular destinations in Cairns and Tropical North Queensland. Our company has been operating locally for 19+ years so I think we know a thing or two about Cairns tours and attractions.
We explore the wonders of the Daintree Rainforest, Kuranda, and the Great Barrier Reef all recommended as the best Cairns day tours and excursions for visitors to Far North Queensland.
Cairns, offers an abundance of captivating day trips and excursions for nature lovers, adventure enthusiasts, and culture seekers alike. From the ancient wonders of the World Heritage Listed Daintree Rainforest to the charming village of Kuranda and the World Heritage Listed Great Barrier Reef, Cairns serves as the gateway to some of Australia’s most unforgettable natural experiences, tours, and attractions. In this blog, we'll delve into the must-visit attractions and land tours, highlighting the reasons why these destinations and these particular Cairns tours should be at the top of your holiday itinerary.
1. Exploring the Daintree Rainforest: The Daintree Rainforest, a UNESCO World Heritage site, is a treasure trove of biodiversity, where ancient plants and rare and unique wildlife thrive amidst lush greenery. Some key highlights and reasons to visit include:
- Embark on a guided walking tour through the rainforest, immersing yourself in its natural beauty and learn about its ecological significance, the local Aboriginal history, see rare and highly endangered pre-historic animals and walk on beaches where the rainforest meets the reef.
- Discover the awe-inspiring Mossman Gorge, with its crystal-clear waters and serene rainforest surroundings, visit the Aboriginal Cultural Centre and have a swim in the Gorge amongst the granite boulders in the mountain fresh waters.
- Experience a Daintree River Cruise, where you can spot some pre-historic animals such as saltwater crocodiles,
- Cassowary, tree kangaroos, migratory birds, and other fascinating wildlife that are endemic only to the Daintree Rainforests.
- Enjoy half day tours, ride horses on the beach, snorkel the Great Barrier Reef, gather food with Aboriginals, zipline through the trees.
- Unveiling the Charm of Kuranda: Nestled amidst the lush Atherton Tablelands, Kuranda Village offers a delightful mix of natural wonders and cultural experiences. Here's why you should visit:
- Take a scenic journey on the Kuranda train & scenic railway, traversing through breathtaking landscapes, including stunning waterfalls, dense rainforest, dark tunnels, and bridges with nothing but deep gorges either side. The Kuranda train tour is recognised as one of the great train journeys of the world and not to be missed. Upgrade to Gold Class cabin for food and drink services on the journey.
- Explore the vibrant Kuranda Village, known for its colourful markets, local crafts, and delicious food. Take a trip along the river and admire the scenery and wildlife.
- Package Tours Kuranda Combos: To save time and money book a Kuranda combo package tour where you spend half a day enjoying two of Cairns best day trips. Immerse yourself in the rich Indigenous culture by visiting Rainforestation Wildlife & Aboriginal Cultural Park, where you can participate in interactive performances and learn about traditional customs or visit Hartley’s Crocodile Park where you can hand feed a crocodile.
- Great Barrier Reef Tours: A Natural Wonder: No trip to Cairns is complete without exploring the iconic Great Barrier Reef, the world's largest coral reef system and a World Heritage Listed natural wonder. The Tour Specialists offer a range of exciting activities and experiences, including the number one and most popular way to see the Great Barrier Reef:
- A combo package tour from above and below the water’s surface by combining a thrilling helicopter ride over the reef, and then landing on a platform to then dive and snorkel below the water to witness its vastness and mesmerizing beauty. You simply have to do this tour for your first trip to Cairns.
- Book a day tour out to Green Island, Fitzroy Island, or the Frankland Islands if you have young children and if your confident swimmers a trip to the outer reef platforms and pontoons where you can enjoy all the in-water toys such as scubadoo, helicopter flights, glass bottom boats and semi-submersible submarines. Discover the wonders of the underwater world through snorkelling or scuba diving, encountering vibrant coral gardens and an abundance of marine life. See our Great Barrier Reef Travel Tips.
- Swim with minke whales on a liveaboard dive trip during the months of June & July, an extraordinary opportunity to interact with these majestic creatures in their natural habitat.
- Dare to dive with sharks, an adrenaline-pumping adventure that allows you to witness the reef's predators up close on a liveaboard dive trip to the northern sections of the Great Barrier Reef.
- For those looking to enjoy the ultimate holiday indulge in a luxury boat charter from Cairns or Port Douglas, where the crew attend to all your needs and set up all the in-water toys and the onboard chef provides you with five-star gourmet food around the clock.
Conclusion: Cairns truly deserves its reputation as the adventure capital of Australia, with its breathtaking natural landscapes and exhilarating activities and huge range of things to do and things to see. From the ancient wonders of the Daintree Rainforest to the cultural delights of Kuranda and the awe-inspiring beauty of the Great Barrier Reef, there are endless opportunities for exploration and adventure. The Tour Specialists provide comprehensive packages and experiences, ensuring that visitors can make the most of their Cairns tours and create memories to last a lifetime.
Remember to visit The Tour Specialists' website for more information and if you still need some advice reach out to the team as they have been recommending tours and attractions in Cairns to visitors for over 19+ years so they know a thing or two about the best day trips and excursions from Cairns.