How much time do you need to spend in Cairns to see the best tours and attractions?
Discovering the best things to do and see in Cairns, Australia, is an incredible adventure, and the ideal number of days to spend in Cairns depends on your interests and how deeply you want to explore each of the tours and attractions. Here's a guide to help you plan your Cairns holiday experience:
1. Explore the Great Barrier Reef:
- Explore The Great Barrier Reef: For the most amazing and immersive experience exploring the Great Barrier Reef we recommend booking a liveaboard dive & snorkel tour. Just imagine sunrises and sunsets over the Great Barrier Reef and the marine life you will see. This allows time for snorkelling, diving, and fully appreciating the vast marine ecosystem.
- If time is not on your side: Then a half day reef trip to a local island like Fitzroy Island,or Green Island, is a nice little introduction to the reef. A helicopter scenic flight, rainforest tours or some adrenaline adventure. .
- Or for those that are active, a day out on a Pontoon is best: Departures can be from Port Douglas or Cairns. On these pontoons you can take helicopter flights, ride around in a semi-submersible submarine, helmet dive, snorkel, dive and cruise in a glass bottom boat. Port Douglas departures, Cairns Departures.
- For those with a disability or mobility limited have a look here: There are many tours and attractions in Cairns for those visitors who may be mobility limited so we have put together a list of things to see and do for you in Cairns ono these pages here.
- Immerse Yourself in Daintree Rainforest: To fully absorb the magic of the Daintree Rainforest, plan to book some accommodation for 2 to 3 days. This gives you ample time to hike its trails, discover its diverse flora and fauna, and take part in guided tours.
- Kuranda Village and Scenic Rail: One day is sufficient to explore Kuranda Village and take in the sights on the Kuranda Train & Scenic Railway and then on the Skyrail Rainforest Cableway. There are many different ways to get to and from Kuranda so best to explore these pages here.
- Atherton Tablelands Adventure: To explore the Atherton Tablelands and its waterfalls, wildlife, and crater lakes, set aside 2 days for a comprehensive experience. There is the waterfall circuit and the iconic attractions that you simply must visit on the Atherton Tablelands. This page here gives you in depth information for you to choose your activities.
- Cape Tribulation Coastal Escape: A day trip to Cape Tribulation is possible, but for a more leisurely experience, we highly recommend you consider an overnight stay of 2 days. This way you get to see the rainforest attractions by day and then get to listen how it changes overnight and comes alive with all the rare and exotic animals making their way around the forest. Book some accommodation here and check out all the tours and attractions from the Daintree rainforest and Cape Tribulation.
- Relax in Port Douglas: Enjoy a couple of days in Port Douglas to unwind, explore the town, and use it as a base for reef and rainforest excursions. Have a look at the Port Douglas region guide for some good insightful information. Book a helicopter flight to a pontoon on the outer Great Barrier Reef or choose from island tours or other reef trips that depart daily from Port Douglas.
- Discover Cairns City: Exploring Cairns city itself can be done in a day or two. Spend time on the Cairns Esplanade, visit local markets, and indulge in the region's diverse dining options. Read the Cairns region guide to find an interest that peaks your attention.
- Cruise the Great Barrier Reef: If you want to really have the ultimate holiday we suggest you book a cruise ship adventure to the outer reefs of the Great Barrier Reef on one of our small ship cruises from Cairns. These cruises are the ultimate way to explore the reefs, islands and treasures of the Great Barrier Reef and beyond.
For A Relaxing Yet Exciting Adventure we Recommend a Minimum of 10 Days
In total, spending a week or more in the Cairns region allows for a well-rounded experience that encompasses its most iconic attractions. However, you can tailor your visit based on your interests and available time. Be sure to factor in travel time between destinations when planning your Cairns itinerary. Whether you have a few days or several weeks, Cairns offers world-class experiences for every traveller.
Speak to our team at The Tour Specialists or view more options on the website here