The Tour Specialists Tour Blog
Hot Air Ballooning Cairns
Posted on August 20, 2014 by Melanie Blight
Breathtaking views, very romantic, and let us say, the best way to start your day!
Getting up at 3.30am is never fun, however the magical sunrise and the picturesque scenery of the Atherton Tablelands will leave you breathless – this is most definitely worth getting out of bed for!
Hot Air Ballooning is a must do and certainly one for the bucket list!
Voted the top three things to do in Cairns – this experience is not just another good photo captured, but a memory of a life time.
A Birthday Morning to Remember…
It was my best friend’s birthday so I decided to treat her with something special – and treat her I did!
We arrived in the dark, pulling up in a paddock surrounded by cows and greenery. In front of us were three incredibly large Hot Air Balloons being inflated by hot air which caused them to light up brightly in the night sky – very colourful and photogenic. I later found out that the balloon that we were riding in was one of the largest balloons in the southern hemisphere (massive).
We were individually taken to the basket, while our pilot kept blasting the balloon with hot air – very interesting to watch. Before long we were taking off at a gradual speed and reaching a height of 700 metres. The scenery and setting was magic. The sun rise appeared right in front of us reflecting on the countryside below. The views were spectacular reaching out as far as Kuranda’s rainforest and out to the blue waters of the ocean. We floated directly over farmland and forest, whilst watching kangaroos darting through the trees, as well as flocks of native birds taking off below us.
On the morning we were the first of three balloons to launch. Watching the other balloons take off from up above was yet another fantastic site. I was informed that some mornings there are so many coloured balloons, that it is just like a balloon fiesta.
The efficient and experienced staff made the whole morning one to remember. All the support crew, including our pilot were friendly, professional and most attentive to all of our questions. The weather was perfect that morning and as we landed a cloud came overhead followed by a gorgeous rainbow – what a place to make a wish hey?
After our scenic 30 minute flight we gradually started to return back to the ground, providing us with a clear bird’s eye view of farming crops and everything green. We landed in laughter while we all braced as instructed, nevertheless the landing was perfect. We then participated in the deflation process of the balloon – so much fun! The idea is to push all the air out of the balloon as a team and roll it up in to a big bag – teamwork at its best.
The drive home allowed us to see the regions dry country, also known as Savanah Land country. If you are on a timeframe this tour is a fantastic way to see some of the Atherton tablelands and its beautiful country side, while providing you with the remainder of the day to see the Great Barrier Reef or to go white water rafting or visit Kuranda’s village and travel on the Skyrail or Scenic Railway Train.
Fun for the whole family, no matter what the occasion, Hot Air Balloon will be sure to impress!
Hot Air is for everyone…
Whether you are seeking a brilliant way to start off your day, or if you are celebrating a special occasion or even looking for a fantastic gift – Hot Air Balloon covers it all.
Hot Air Balloon offers the following tours:
- Hot Air 30 minute flights with transfers
- Hot Air extended 60 minute flights with transfers
- Hot Air self-drive
- Hot Air private charter
- Luxury hot air balloon package, that features private transfers and delicious private breakfast at the Sea Temple Palm Cove
- Hot Air balloon gift vouchers
- Hot Air balloon weddings
What you should know about Hot Air Ballooning Cairns
- Cairns has an incredible climate, making the destination perfect for hot air ballooning.
- Operating 7 days a week, Hot Air pick up from Cairns, all the Cairns northern beaches, Port Douglas and the Atherton Tablelands with door to door transfers.
- Now I do have to be honest, before embarking on the tour I was slightly worried as I have a small fear of heights (I did not tell my friend this at the time), however my worry was unnecessary. The staff are extremely professional and are all highly qualified. The pilot conducted such a gradual take-off that I did not realise we were rising until he had said so. Same again with the landing, gradual and may I add a lot of fun!
- Do wear something warm as it can get cool that early in the morning up in the air.
- Have something small to eat or if you struggle to eat at early morning hours, at least have a cup of tea, as you may not get back to your accommodation until 10.30am.
- There is limited availability on this tour so booking in advance is a must.
What you should bring
- Your camera! DO NOT FORGET THIS! Photo opportunities are endless. However don’t fret if you don’t have a camera as Hot Air does take photos of the morning that you can access off their website.
- Warm clothes
- A bottle of water for the journey up to Mareeba
- Your ticket/ booking voucher
- A fun and friendly attitude!
If you are seeking further information on this brilliant experience or if you would like to make a booking please contact us on 4059 59 59 or book Hot Air on-line. For other fantastic tours check them out here. If you are seeking accommodation please visit the Cairns Holiday Specialists Click Here.
Written and experienced by a Cairns Holiday Specialists Tour specialist: Madeleine
WE GUARANTEE TO
MATCH THE LOWEST RATES!
- Subscribe to our Blog
- Recent Posts
- The Ultimate Cairns Dinner Cruise
- Cairns Tours - A Local's Recommendation - Kuranda Train & Skyrail Day Trip
- Kuranda Day Tours A Day the Whole Family Will LOVE!
- Whale Watching & Swim With Whale Tours from Cairns and Port Douglas
- Cairns Cheapest and Best Dive Trips
- Cape Tribulation, Daintree & Mossman Gorge Small Group – Premium Day Tour
- Amazing 3 Day 2 Night Liveaboard Snorkel and Dive Trip Great Barrier Reef
- Where to Swim With Whales on The Great Barrier Reef
- My Great Barrier Reef Sand Cay Experience
- A Day Out On The Great Barrier Reef! Visiting 3 Stunning Locations
- Recent Comments
- No comments