The Tour Specialists Tour Blog
Cairns Seaplanes Fly/Cruise to Green Island
Posted on December 7, 2010 by Christina
It is the start of the whale season in Cairns, and one of the best ways to spot these beautiful animals on the Great Barrier Reef is by seaplane. The Dwarf Minke whales are usually encountered from May to September and the Humpback whales appear from July to September. The most popular sighting is that of a rare albino whale named Migaloo, which translates to Black Fella in Aboriginal.
This very exciting time is a part of the whale’s annual seasonal migration. The Dwarf Minke whales usually start there annual migration from Victoria to Northern Queensland from March to October with the maximum sighting on the Northern Great Barrier Reef in June and July.
A few days ago Blythe and myself have experienced for the first time of our life a scenic flight over the Great Barrier Reef on a seaplane. It was just AMAZING!!
Our flight was at 10am from Cairns. We were so excited about this new adventure. This plane can only take 6 passengers and as soon as we took off we could see the city of Cairns, its lagoon, its marina and the Trinity inlet and its mangroves. Our pilot took us for an amazing 25 min scenic flight over the reef. We had a look at Upolu Cay, Michaelmas Cay, Vlassoff Cay and Arlington Reef before landing to Green Island.
Time for us to enjoy the rest of the day on the island. There is lots to do, you can go snorkelling, diving, go on a glass bottom boat or semi submersible tour, try a Seawalker helmet diving, go for a walk and/or visit Marineland Melanesia the house of Cassius the biggest crocodile in captivity. On the island there is also a resort, 2 restaurants and one bar with a cocktail list (Yes!).
Blythe and I decided to take it easy on that day with a bit of snorkelling and a nice relax on the beach. My favorite location to go snorkelling on Green Island is from the jetty: The marine life is abundant and is a well known place to even spot some green turtles!
Time flew by so quickly it was already 4pm, time to embark the boat for our return trip to Cairns. We arrived in Cairns at 5pm.
Cairns Seaplanes is offering different options to suit your taste and budget:
– Scenic flights: 30 or 40 min scenic flight over the reef
– Secluded sandy cays: For the more romantics why not embark for a secluded sandy cay trip. The isolated beauty of a sand cay on the Great Barrier Reef is something lots of people would dream about! The tour includes a 15-20 minutes scenic flight, 2 hours on the cay, snorkelling equipment, beach umbrella, blanket, canapés and soft drinks; Add the honeymoon basket and make it a day to remember!
– Green Island – Fly/Fly or Fly/Cruise. Optional day packs including the semi submersible, glass bottom boat tour or snorkel gear are available.
– Scenic flight from Green Island are also possible.
Cairns Seaplanes is also available for weddings and charter flights!
For More About Tours to the Great Barrier Reef Please Visit The Tour Specialists
WE GUARANTEE TO
MATCH THE LOWEST RATES!
- Subscribe to our Blog
- Recent Posts
- The Ultimate Cairns Dinner Cruise
- Cairns Tours - A Local's Recommendation - Kuranda Train & Skyrail Day Trip
- Kuranda Day Tours A Day the Whole Family Will LOVE!
- Whale Watching & Swim With Whale Tours from Cairns and Port Douglas
- Cairns Cheapest and Best Dive Trips
- Cape Tribulation, Daintree & Mossman Gorge Small Group – Premium Day Tour
- Amazing 3 Day 2 Night Liveaboard Snorkel and Dive Trip Great Barrier Reef
- Where to Swim With Whales on The Great Barrier Reef
- My Great Barrier Reef Sand Cay Experience
- A Day Out On The Great Barrier Reef! Visiting 3 Stunning Locations
- Recent Comments
- No comments